Friday, March 11, 2011

It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog

My blogs have been neglected lately. To those who have come here over and over, only to see nothing new, I apologize. Please don’t give up on me.

Our planned move is still nearly a year away, but because we want to put the house on the market in April, we have been working like two old dogs getting the house ready to show. Our storage unit is beginning to look less sparse, as we move boxes and bins over there. Still more to go!

On Wednesday my friend, Tina, who used to run her own business, staging houses for sale, came to help me rearrange furniture and to make suggestions for showing-off the best features of our house. From that session sprung yet another long to-do list.

Yesterday I boxed up two dozen of my milk bottles in preparation for shipping them to my friend, Cindy, in Juneau, who is going to “adopt” my collection. I have one more box of bottles to pack tonight, and then that task can be ticked off of my list.

For the past couple days, I have been busy using my nifty new receipt scanner to scan all of my receipts and other documents that need to be saved for several months to a year, so that I can shred the originals and just keep the scanned images in tidy little computer files. That is a start on cleaning up the most challenging room in our house – the office. I want to have the office completed by the middle of next week. Wish me luck on THAT one!

And here’s a follow-up on my very first Craigslist experience, as mentioned in my post below. That entertainment center, especially the center unit, is terribly heavy. It took four strong men – Dan, Tim, our friend Gary and his son, Ray – to haul the three units out of our house, into Gary’s pick-up, and, from there, into the storage unit. They did that last Saturday. On Saturday evening, around 9:30 p.m., I posted my Craigslist ad. When I got up on Sunday morning, there were two responses. One wanted more information, the other wanted to see it. I made arrangements with the second person to show her the furniture after our second worship service that afternoon (our second service runs from 2:00 to 3:00). Dan and I went to the storage unit around 4:00, and the interested party and her husband showed up, with a pick-up, trailer, and $$$ in hand, a few minutes later. They were serious buyers! The only bad part was that poor Dan had to help man-handle that monster once again, from the storage unit to their trailer. But there was no quibbling on the price, and it was sold about 18 hours after I first posted the ad. Success! I was pumped. I came home and started eyeing everything around the house. What else could I turn into cash?!! This is too easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Craigs List. I have beeb been looking for a patio set on there lately.