Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Birthday Well Celebrated!

Though my birthday was yesterday, the birthday surprises began on Friday, when a package arrived from my friend, Gloria, along with a letter full of incredibly nice words; and cards began showing up in my mailbox. Then came an e-card from Uncle Bud and Ardyne, in Alaska. How sweet it is to be remembered at special times, by those far away!

Yesterday, though, was filled with birthday blessings, from the top of the morning through the close of day. It started as I got into the car to leave for work. I spied a card, propped on the steering wheel from my sweetheart. It said things that put a big smile on my face, all the way to work.

At work the four other people on my team came into my office with brownies and began singing "Happy Birthday" -- very loudly, and each one in a different key! No one in our office suite could possibly have missed knowing that it was my birthday.

I left work at 12:30 (my normal quitting time), and met Sherry at our favorite little cafe, called Hannah and Nate's. She treated me to lunch and gave me a book by one of my favorite authors. I can't wait to start it.

As I was working on my computer, in the afternoon, along came an email notification of an e-card that was waiting for me, from my good friend, Kathy (in Alaska).

That evening, Dan came home and asked me where I'd like to go for dinner, and we settled on Red Lobster. It wasn't quite time to go yet, so I was doing a few things around the house when Dan said to me, "Have you checked Kelsey's blog?" I immediately opened up her blog page, to find the most precious little video of Sweetpea singing Happy Birthday to me. It was a heart-melter!

And then, to my surprise, along came Tim to join us for the celebratory meal out. While we were waiting for our food to arrive I got two special calls on my cell phone - the first from my Mom, sending her love; and the second from Chris, with his birthday wishes.

To top it all off, when I got to work this morning, I found a bouquet of pretty flowers on my desk. Tim had ordered them for me, and they arrived after I left the office yesterday.

It's humbling, actually, to consider my own responsibilities in light of, and in response to, such an outpouring of love.

[Any of you, who have my email address and who would like to see Sweetpea's video, just email me and I'll connect you up with Kelsey's blog.]

No comments: