Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Girl Friends, Episode 5 - Sherry

I love Tuesdays. Tuesday is the day that I meet my friend Sherry for lunch after work. It's not the lunch, of course, but the company that makes the day so special.

I met Sherry about four years ago, when we first moved to Albuquerque. She and her husband, Keith, reached out to us, inviting us out to Sunday lunch several times, and then to their home for Frito pie, made with Sherry's delicious homemade chili. It didn't take long for us to know that we had found some forever friends.

Sherry is from West Texas. She has the sweetest southern drawl. Whenever we want to ask a clerk or a server for a favor, I always make Sherry ask, because her soft-spoken charm wins them over every time.

Sherry and I are different in a lot of ways. She is a decade or so younger than I am. She is a passionate dog-lover, whereas I haven't had a dog since I was a teenager. Sherry is really careful and particular about what she eats, whereas I eat anything that tempts me (and then go back for more if I enjoyed it). But differences like those are what make a friendship interesting. And, really, what makes the friendship work is that on the important things, we do see eye to eye.

Sherry and her husband, Keith, have taken a number of day-trips or weekend trips with Dan and me, exploring some of the beauties of New Mexico. And last summer they both came with us to Alaska, where we played "tour guide," showing them the sights and introducing them to other good friends.

Recently Sherry has become my photography-buddy, as well. Last Tuesday we started making plans to make one photography shoot together each month. Sherry will be planning the September shoot; I'll plan the October one. I'm sure I'll be blogging about these outings, and sharing a photo or two each time.

Sherry and I feel safe confiding in one another; we trust each other to never take advantage of a vulnerability. Sherry is one of the good things about living in Albuquerque. And today is Tuesday; so I'm looking forward to the noon hour, when we'll meet and share a hug, a meal, some laughter and some heart-to-heart conversation.

No comments: