Friday, February 7, 2014

Mission Aborted

Today was the big day! We got up and headed to Somerville, TX, where we were to meet Kelsey, who would hand-off Robert to us for our long weekend together. We have been looking forward to this for awhile, and Kelsey says Robert has been really excited.

Imagine our disappointment (and Robert's), therefore, when we failed at our mission and had to turn around and return home without our little passenger. The Winter Weather Advisory that we read about (and doubted) turned out to be accurate. When we left Temple, at 9:00 this morning, it was cold (in the 20s), but dry - no problem. But before we reached Cameron it started to rain, and the roads were getting slick. Our windshield, wipers and mirrors were icing up. After several emergency vehicles passed us, we stopped at a convenience store and learned that there was a 5-vehicle pile-up on a bridge, just ahead. There was no alternate route for us and, even if there had been, we knew it wasn't wise to continue on in these conditions. So we made the call to Kelsey, telling her it was a no-go for this morning. It was sad but absolutely the right decision. On our way back home we came upon two more wrecks involving multiple vehicles. We drove slowly, carefully and prayerfully and made it home just fine.

We will watch the weather and make revised plans when it looks safe. These pictures show the icy glaze that coated our car by the time we arrived back home.


Chesney said...

I hate when the weather ruins plans that are really anticipated! I hope you stay warm and safe and can enjoy your anticipated weekend soon!

Lois said...

Icy weather is the worst to be out and about in. So glad you made it back without incident.