Monday, February 27, 2012

Daring Bakers' February Challenge - Quick Breads


I'm back! After taking a sabbatical from the Daring Bakers' challenges, due to lack of kitchen and equipment while we were temporarily holed up in our little apartment, I'm back in action. What fun it was to break in a new kitchen with this challenge. This is my first kitchen with an island, and I'm blown away by how handy it is to have this wonderful, well-lit, center-of-the-room workspace.

The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

I chose to make a rhubarb muffin. The basic recipe was shared with me, at least 17 years ago, by George Fox University co-worker, Katherine E. I have slightly modified it over the years, and in so doing have made it my own recipe.

In a large bowl combine
1-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup buttermilk


Beat well with mixer. Then stir in
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb (I used frozen).


In a small bowl combine
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Stir the flour mixture into the mixture in the larger bowl.


Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins. Fill tins 2/3 full.


For sugar topping, combine
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Sprinkle sugar topping over each muffin and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.


With a cup of tea or coffee, these rhubarb muffins can't be beat! They're especially good warm, with a little pat of butter.



A little later in the month I whipped together another quick bread, just for fun (and for breakfast). It was a lemon-blueberry loaf, and was delicious. After we ate a couple slices warm, I wrapped the loaf and refrigerated it. We sliced off pieces all week long, until it was completely gone. Yum. This recipe came from Sweet Pea's Kitchen, and I highly recommend it!



CLICK HERE NEXT (DUTCH CRUNCH BREAD)

7 comments:

Korena said...

I have a freezer full of rhubarb and those muffins are calling my name! I love the pecan topping. And that lemon blueberry bread looks absolutely to-die-for. YUM!

Aleksandra Rybinska said...

beautiful cakes :) Like them a lot!

UFRV said...

Gosh, I have to try those muffins! Thankis for sharing the recipe!

sandie said...

I too, have a freezer full of rhubarb! great idea!!!

Joanna said...

Both breads look delicious! And from what I could see in your pictures, your island looks fantastic as well!

Nish said...

Those rhubarb muffin looks amazing! Wish rhubarb was easily available where I live :(

Sweetsadies Baking said...

The lemon blueberry looks so beautiful...mmmmmm