Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shopping with Sherry

After our Saturday morning breakfast, Dan and I stopped by a sporting goods store to see if they had any monopod/walking sticks in stock. I've been researching them on the Internet, and Dan gave me the "go ahead" to purchase one as my birthday gift. So, what is this strange contraption? It's a telescoping walking stick that has an attachment at the top, allowing you to mount your camera. It's not quite as stable as a tripod, but it's pretty good, considering it will serve two purposes - stabilizing my camera, and stabilizing ME.

The store we stopped at didn't have one like I was looking for, so we gave up and went home. Or, maybe I should say that Dan gave up; I was still determined to find one. So, I gave my friend and photography-buddy, Sherry, a call. She has also been wanting to purchase one. We spent all afternoon shopping in sporting goods stores and, finally and more successfully, in an old-fashioned camera shop.

Once we found the model we wanted, Sherry, in her sweet Southern drawl, asked the clerk if, by chance, they were running a sale. "No," he replied, "but if you buy two of them, I'll give you 15% off." Yahoo!

Watch out world; nothing will stop us now! (Raise your right hand and repeat after me . . . ) Neither rain nor snow, nor sleet nor dark of night shall stay these photographers from capturing State-Fair-blue-ribbon-award-winning images.

No comments: