Friday, June 29, 2012

The Double D Longhorn Ranch


On Tuesday evening Dan and I visited the Double D Longhorn Ranch, by invitation of owners, Harry and Debbie Macey. This ranch is only about a 15 minute drive from our house. They have a herd of about 40 longhorns that have been raised, by Debbie, as pets! The herd includes some adorable new calves. Because of continuous human contact since birth, these animals are gentle, and will allow you to pet them or hand-feed them. Debbie knows each animal by name and is familiar with their individual personalities and quirks.

I have to admit that, when I first crossed the cattle guard, and the longhorns headed toward us, I felt pretty intimidated. But, in time, I became comfortable walking among them. I was there to take pictures, and although I got fairly up-close-and-personal, I chose to maintain a respectful distance. The animals are gentle, but they often swing their heads to chase away flies, and I had no desire to get smacked by those amazing horns.

Many, many thanks to Harry and Debbie for the evening spent visiting with them and their beautiful animals.










No comments: