Sunday, May 31, 2020

The Sky ... and Beyond

Taken from a distance - flying over Baylor Scott & White Hospital
This morning a group of pilots, based in Round Rock and known as the Falcon Flight Formation Team, was set to do several flyovers of Temple, to honor Temple medical workers and other frontline employees in the city. They were scheduled to take off from the airport at 10:00 a.m.. The newspaper said that it would take 20 minutes to get up into the air and in formation, before heading toward the city.

The members of the team would be flying their own homebuilt planes, constructed from remade kits, in a variety of colors.

Since our house is near Temple's airport, the Draughon-Miller Central Texas Regional Airport, I hoped to see the planes in formation, however I knew I was cutting my time short, as the streaming worship service that we were prepared to participate in was to start at 10:30.

I set up a lawn chair, and took two of my cameras outside, to see if I could get some pictures. I caught several groups of four, flying over our yard several times. I think they were not in full formation yet when I gave up and went inside for "church."







While I was busy looking up into the sky, Dan was closely following the trip of the Dragon crew capsule, which lifted off from Kennedy Space Center yesterday and docked with the International Space Station (ISS) today. This was the first manned space launch for a private company (SpaceX), and America's first launch from American soil, in an American rocket, in almost a decade. It was a fantastic launch, trip and docking ... making America proud!

Dan watches as the first astronaut, Bob Behnken, steps out of the capsule and into the ISS.

No comments: