Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Robert's Visit

Dan and I had such a fun few days last week, spending one-on-one time with Grandson Robert. He will turn 13 in November, and I can hardly believe he will be a "teenager!" I was present at his birth, and it seems like that was just yesterday. He is changing so rapidly now. He's as tall as I am, and is such a joy to be around. I really wished that we could have had a few more days with him, but everyone's schedules are so busy, especially with school about to start.

We did a few fun things while he was here. A new shave-ice place, called Bahama Buck's, opened near our house, so we took him there for a treat.

Later that day we went to the movie theater to see "Minions - The Rise of Gru." Though I loved the original movie, "Despicable Me," I didn't think this one was great. But it gave us something to do together, so was well-worth the time.

A selfie of Robert and me, waiting for the movie to start

On Friday we went to Waco and visited the Mammoth National Monument. It is the place where, in 1978, a mammoth bone was discovered by a couple of fellows who were searching for arrowheads. Since then archeologists have been excavating the site and have discovered a treasure-trove of mammoth fossils. The dig is on-going, and visitors can come to see the site. It was really interesting and something that Robert seemed to enjoy a lot.

Dan and Robert looking down on the dig 



We found a great place for lunch, after leaving the Mammoth Monument. It was a car-themed restaurant. Robert, like his Grandpa, is a car enthusiast, so this was a perfect place for a hamburger.

After lunch we headed to the Dr. Pepper Museum. Dr. Pepper was first made in Waco, Texas, in the 1880s.  The museum is full of old Dr. P advertising, and interesting facts about the history of Dr. P and soft drinks, in general. I think the highlight for Robert, though, was enjoying a Dr. Pepper ice cream float at the end of the tour. 

The actual artesian well that provided the water for making the original Dr. Pepper


On Saturday I had to deliver Robert back to his family, and I've been missing him ever since.


No comments: