Monday, March 16, 2020

Coronavirus 2020

Dan and I have tried to keep a level head about all of the craziness happening around us. We're trying not to over-react, and yet to be safe. I really want to responsibly do my part to end this epidemic as soon as possible.

On Friday I went to our local H.E.B. supermarket. I didn't even need any groceries, but wanted to pick up a couple of birthday cards. While I was there, though, the empty shelves and cases shocked me into the realization that this is turning into an emergency situation.





I read yesterday that the grocery store is changing its hours to an 8 a.m. opening and an 8 p.m. closing. Since I always do my weekly shopping on Monday, I decided to show up a little before 8:00 this morning to buy just what I needed for the week. I thought I was so smart, showing up a bit before the doors opened - but everyone else in Temple is every bit as "smart" as I am, for here was the line of people waiting to get in when I got there.


Once I made it into the store, I was grateful to see that there were carts still available, and that they had done a lot of re-stocking over night, so the shelves, although not fully stocked, were no longer bare.  I had my list and calmly made my way through the store, selecting the groceries I needed. I had to make some odd substitutions in a few cases, but the important thing is that I was able to purchase food for the entire coming week.

I was impressed by two things. First, the shoppers were considerate, often grinning and shaking their heads, and didn't seem to be hoarding. Secondly, the store management and employees were doing an outstanding job of accommodating everyone. They had put purchasing limits on a lot of items, which was a good thing. And they had people working every single register. The lines were a bit longer than normal, but not ridiculously so.

Later this morning I did sit down at the computer and place an order for next week's groceries, using the "Curbside Pick-Up" service they offer. In that order I included more staples and items with shelf-life, but still avoided stock-piling. I will feel better picking up my groceries at the curbside rather than  mingling with the crowds inside the store. My philosophy is "Don't panic, but be wise."

John 14:27 - “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

No comments: