Friday, August 2, 2019

A Week of Good-byes

Saying good-bye is never easy. so this week has been a little difficult for me.

FAREWELL DAVID AND DENISE
These two people have become very special to us over the past three years, ever since we began worshipping with the Salado Church of Christ. I can't even tell you how much I will miss them, although I completely understand their desire to move to Abilene, where their grandchildren all live. They are truly salt-of-the-earth folks. David is a terrific song leader for our worship services, and Denise is a great children's Bible class teacher. They are part of our small group, and have shown us hospitality by opening up their home and property to us numerous times. 

A small-group meeting and cook-out at David and Denise's home
They are leaving large shoes to be filled, especially considering their years of dedication to three children, from a non-Christian home, whom they have brought to class and worship every Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. The two older children have grown in their knowledge of the scriptures, and in their faith, to the point that they have made the decision to be baptized into Christ's body. I have no doubt that the youngest will reach that decision in the future, thanks in great part to David and Denise's influence in their lives.

Last Sunday our small group hosted a farewell ice cream party for David and Denise. Our friends, George and Twilla opened their home and their pool area for this event, and we all had a super time.
David and Denise, opening a little gift box from our small group.



FAREWELL RACHEL
Rachel and I, at our good-bye lunch at the Olive Garden
Rachel is a bright, beautiful and fun young wife and mother of two little boys. She comes from China and has been living in Temple for two years, doing post-doctoral work at a medical lab. Through the Temple Literacy Council, I've been privileged to be her English tutor. We have met once a week to deepen her conversational English skills and her familiarity with American culture. 

Our curriculum has included working through ESL workbooks, outside reading, conversations, field trips and a few restaurant meals together. We read the book Old Yeller together, and then she and her family came to our house for dinner and to watch the 1957 Old Yeller movie. Rachel and her family even attended our 50th wedding anniversary celebration.
Rachel and I hugging, at our anniversary party. Also pictured, her husband and younger son.
In class, studying from the ESL workbook
We made a Christmas advent calendar to take home for her boys

Bluebonnet field trip

Rachel's two-year work visa ended this week, and she and her husband packed up and are currently on their way to California for a short vacation before heading back home to China. I will truly miss spending time with her each week. Zàijiàn my friend! I hope to see you again!


FAREWELL MAMA AND BABY BIRDS
Mama Bird watching over her nest and eggs

I've blogged before about the birds that seem to love building their nests on my porch and back patio. The problem is that their favorite place to nest is my hanging flower baskets, which makes it difficult, if not impossible, to water the plants.

This year I was determined to keep the birds from nesting in those flower baskets. I love the birds, of course, but what's wrong with nesting in my oak trees? I tried several different things this year in an effort to discourage their nest-building in my baskets. I hung streamers, I put a pinwheel in one, I hung them near my wind chimes - none of those efforts worked. In fact, a mama dove was the first to nest in the one with streamers. Sadly, after laying two eggs, she abandoned that nest.

But in one basket I placed a scary looking plastic lizard. For a long time it seemed I had found a successful deterrent, and I was ready to go buy a half-dozen more lizards to put in next year's baskets. But one morning I went out to water the plants and found a small bird's nest built right on the back of the lizard!!! Sure enough, Mama Bird then laid four perfect little eggs, all of which hatched. I kept lifting down the basket and putting a little water around, but not onto, the nest, as the hatchlings grew. The mama seemed to tolerate this disturbance every couple days, and continued to nurture her babies. It was great fun watching them grow and get real feathers in place of the little downy ones.

Four perfect little eggs, in the nest atop the scary lizard
Still little, with pink skin and fuzzy down
A couple days before they fledged. Their feathers are beautiful.
Yesterday I lifted the basket down to water, and was surprised when all four of the babies flew out of the basket and up into a nearby tree! I thought maybe the fledglings would return to the nest for the night, but they didn't. It seems they have flown away for good, and I hope they will all survive as they explore this big beautiful world.

No comments: