Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Party Time!

Clara's handiwork

Several months ago Kelsey told me that she and Chris wanted to host a party for our 50th anniversary. That first discussion, and all of the subsequent planning, finally came to fruition this past weekend. Since Kelsey was coordinating everything from long-distance, my good friend, Kay Jackson, helped by being Kelsey's feet on the ground, here locally. And helping with photography were Sheila Sodergren and her niece, Madison. Our celebration was held in the Lakeview Room at the Sammons Community Center, from 2:00 to 4:00 on Saturday (June 22)  afternoon.

Most of our guests were local friends and family, however we did have a few who traveled to be here.

From out of town:
Cousins Marci Gaustad, Caleb and Tammy Miller, from Waco (40 miles one way), and Rand and Jane Baker, from Katy (160 miles, one way); college friends Dan and Charlyn Trussell, from Mission (385 miles, one way).

From out of state:
We were thrilled to have our son Tim, from Albuquerque, New Mexico (630 miles one way), with us;

From out of the country:
Winning the "Farthest Traveled" award, by a long shot was our Japanese exchange student, Takashi and his son, Hisashi, from Kurashiki, Japan (6810 miles one way!!!). Takashi lived with us 30 years ago, during the school year of 1988-89. He has come back to visit us numerous times - in Oregon, Alaska, New Mexico and, finally, Texas. We were all blown away when we saw Takashi and Hisashi arrive. Takashi didn't tell anyone he was coming, so I was moved to tears. Sadly, his wife, Yoko, couldn't get away from work, so she wasn't with us.

Many thanks to Kelsey, Chris, Clara, Robert, Tim and Kay, who all contributed in various ways to bringing this celebration to life. I'm honored by each one who helped and every single guest who shared the day with us. I'm also grateful for all the notes and cards that came from friends who couldn't be here. Dan and I loved reading each one, together that evening, and remembering times past with those of you who have remained close at heart, despite the physical distance between us.

Kelsey, Chris, Clara and Robert





A hug from Tammy Miller



Takashi and Dan
Hisashi


Friends Darin and Stephanie, son Tim, granddaughter Clara and son Chris


Tammy Miller, Marci Gaustad, Caleb Miller, Rand and Jane Baker - all cousins of Dan


Kay's special, creative gift. We love it!
With our college friends, Charlyn and Dan
Kay, on left, visiting with friends Butch and Linda Smith






After the party, the family all met at the Belton restaurant, The Gin at Nolan Creek, for dinner. 
Three first cousins - all children of the Baker siblings. Dan Judd, Marci Gaustad and Rand Baker.

Takashi and Hishashi stayed around until after church on Sunday, then headed back to Dallas and on home to Japan.

Takashi and Tim


1 comment:

Credit Loan Solution said...



My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com)