Monday, March 20, 2017

Just Call Me "Admiral"

Friday, March 17, St. Patrick's Day, was a special day for me. In my mailbox I found my copy of the book that I prepared for the printer (See here), Minatare Memories: A Historical Account of the Tabor-Minatare Community of Western Nebraska. I was so relieved, after sending off a flash drive with the entire formatted book, to be told by the print shop that it was perfectly print-ready! And now I have the finished product in my hands.

The authors are having their book launch this coming Saturday, and they are quite excited. There will be book signings, newspaper articles, radio and TV interviews, and public meet-and-greets. They already have so many pre-sales that they believe they will have to do a second printing right away.


Along with my copy of the book came a surprise. It was a certificate, signed by Nebraska's governor, Pete Ricketts, appointing me an "Admiral in the Great Navy of the State of Nebraska." This is an honorary title bestowed, by the Governor, upon individuals who have contributed to the "Good Life" of Nebraska. I consider it an honor :-).

The text of the certificate describes my authority this way:
And I [the governor] do strictly charge and require all officers, seamen, tadpoles and goldfish under your command to be obedient to your orders as Admiral - and you are to observe and follow, from time to time, such directions you shall receive, according to the rules and discipline of the Great Navy of the State of Nebraska. 









No comments: