Saturday, July 26, 2014

Our Town

It's been a long time since I've taken a couple hours just to go out and shoot some photos, but today I did. The sun was very high in the sky - really too bright and glare-y for good photos - but it was nice to get out with my camera.

These are just some City of Temple shots. Temple has an old downtown, featuring some architecturally interesting brick buildings, mostly built in the 1920s. The majority of these buildings are two stories tall, but there are a couple of tall (for their time) ones. Downtown Temple is the city's business district, not a shopping district, so the streets and sidewalks are mostly empty on a Saturday afternoon.

The Doering Hotel (later known as the Hawn Hotel), built in 1928 is nine stories tall. Next to it you can see the entrance to the old Arcadia Theater. Neither of these buildings are currently in use. 

I don't know the history of this white brick building, but my eyes are always drawn to it when I go by. I've seen, on-line, that it is for sale. There are some shots of its interior here.

The detail around the doorway of the building above. I wonder if the symbols have any significance?

City Hall

Veterans' Memorial


Sammons Community Golf Course

Fountain and flowers near the Community Center


Old Glory over City Hall



2 comments:

Lois said...

Enjoyable walk through town.

Chesney said...

Loved my virtual tour thru your town...you got some awesome pics!