Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Locked Out

My car has those chimes that warn me, when I open the door, if I’ve left the keys in the ignition. But there are no such chimes to warn me that I’ve left the keys lying on the passenger seat … which I did yesterday. At the very moment that I pushed the lock button and slammed the door shut, I realized my foolish mistake.

I tried reaching Dan on my cell phone. He should have been on his way home from work at that time, so it wouldn’t be too much out of his way to stop and unlock my car. But he had his cell phone turned off (dead battery, he told me later).

I waited until I thought he might be home, and then began calling our home phone. After a couple of unanswered calls, I left a message. It worked. He called me, a few minutes later, and said he’d be there soon.

Although there wasn’t anywhere to get inside, out of the sun, I was thankful that there was a place with some shade and a little bench; and thankful, too, for my knight in shining armor (or, more accurately, in his shining Ford Taurus), who came to my rescue.

No comments: